Call us toll free: (08) 8227 0372
Top notch Multipurpose WordPress Theme!
Slide background

Which Australian city is made for you?

DISCOVER WHERE YOU SHOULD LIVE, WORK OR VISIT.
Slide background

Compare Australian Cities

WHERE DOES EACH CITY DO WELL... OR FALL BEHIND?
Slide background
SLOWEST: HOBART
WHICH IS AUSTRALIA'S

FASTEST GROWING CITY

FASTEST: MELBOURNE

City Report

Compare city performance across multiple topics to discover how Australia's capitals perform in different sectors.

Custom Report

Discover where you should live, work, or visit by creating a city report card based your personal selection of facts.

Browse by Fact

From the bizarre and trivial to the serious and useful: get lost in a sea of facts and confirm or challenge your knowledge.

Latest News

Give your opinion

Survey: What makes a city liveable? (NEW)

Win a $300 Amazon voucher

While there are many things that make a city liveable, their order of priority is different for everyone. There are several 'Liveability Indexes' that exist, but none that weigh the things that Australians prioritise with hard data.

Your responses will contribute to a better understanding of what a city's residents need, and what needs to be focused on at all levels of government.

Start survey.

Why conduct surveys?

Give voice to your opinions and be rewarded for your time.

While hard data is essential for the comparison of states and cities, empirical data is invaluable for capturing the sentiment and opinion of a city’s residents. Australia’s Best City, along with its parent company ipData, conducts numerous surveys on a wide range of topics to ensure that the database remains up-to-date, representative, and relevant.

Survey responses also help shape policy and company decisions by contributing to reports and in-depth analysis that Australia’s Best City, and parent company ipData, conducts on their behalf.

View current surveys.

 

Commission a survey

Unlock the opinion of your target market.

Australia’s Best City and research consulting firm ipData are committed to providing in-depth analysis through survey generation. Coupled with extensive experience in research and consultation, an independently-run survey can provide the impetus for positive change.

All surveys conducted are statistically significant and, when necessary, represent a cross-section of demographics thanks to the vastly different community circles of both Australia’s Best City and ipData. To ensure complete responses, respondents are offered incentives through competitions and prizes.

For more information regarding surveys, please contact us.

 

Write to us!

Do you have feedback, want to suggest a new fact, or offer your opinion?

Featured Facts

Average sea temperatures (degrees)

This FACT indicates the average sea temperatures during one year in Australian cities. This indicator is an important one for many Australians and tourists, given the country's thousands of kilometres of coastline and beach culture. The city with the highest average sea temperature throughout the year is Brisbane with 23.58; unsurprising given its tropical climate. The city with the highest average sea temperature throughout the year (2011) is Brisbane with 24; unsurprising given its tropical climate. The city with the lowest is Melbourne with 15degrees. Data for Darwin and Hobart data could not be obtained. Data for Canberra is not applicable, given it is situated over 100 kilometres inland.

Number of coastal drownings (Regional)

While Australia is famous for its beaches, the waters off the Australian coast can be unforgiving, with large swell and strong rips. This FACT indicates the total number of drowings that occurred on coastal beaches in each Australian state and territory throughout 2012-2013. New South Wales had the highest number of coastal drownings at 48, while the Northern Territory was the lowest at 2. No data has been entered for the Australian Capital Territory, as there is no coast.

Number of days waited for admissions from waiting lists for Prostatectomy surgery (Regional)

This FACT indicates the number of days waited for patient admissions from waiting lists for Prostatectomy surgery in the 90th percentile in each state. The 90th percentile means that 90 percent of the people admitted from waiting lists are admitted within and beyond 365 days. The other 10% are outliers and fall outside the range of the other 90 percent either above or below. 

Percentage of obese males

This FACT indicates the percentage of males within each Australian capital city who are obese. Obesity is a medical condition in which excess body fat has accumulated to the extent that it may have an adverse effect on health, leading to reduced life expectancy and/or increased health problems. People are considered as obese, according to the Australian Bureau of Statistics, when their body mass index (BMI – an individual's body mass divided by the square of his height) exceeds 30kg/m2 (BMI of 30.00).
Obesity is a real problem in Australia, which is ranked as one of the fattest nations in the developed world. According to Monash University research, the obesity rate has risen over 50 percent in the past 20 years.
The city with the highest population of obese males is Brisbane at 32.8 percent. The city with the least obese males is Melbourne at 24.1 percent.

Population weighted density of cities

Because of a relatively small population and urban sprawl, city density is much lower than what is experienced in other countries. Population density is measured by the number of people per square kilometres. While many argue that low density is a positive thing, it does impact other important quality-of-living factors, such as public transport services, social services and car dependency.

There are numerous ways of calculating urban density. Open space on the edge of the metropolitan areas can often skew densities. We have therefore searched for a more suitable approach. 'Charting Transport.com' have devised an approach that only includes populated areas.  Population weighted density is a weighted average of the density of all the parcels of land in the city, with the population of each parcel of land providing the weighting. This provides a figure indicative of the residential density of the “average person”. A city where a large proportion of people live in dense areas will have a much higher weighted population density than average population density. The data is based on 2011 census data.

The measure is Pop-weighted density, persons/ hectare (all SA1s)

Slide background

WHERE CAN YOU AFFORD TO LIVE?

Housing
Transport
Energy

PRESENTED BY

Slide background

WHERE CAN YOU AFFORD TO LIVE?

Housing
Transport
Energy

PRESENTED BY

Top